Does a 2009 Hilux 3.0D SR cut the mustard offroad and towing

Submitted: Thursday, Aug 27, 2009 at 12:08
ThreadID: 71820 Views:8288 Replies:9 FollowUps:10
This Thread has been Archived
Hey Guy

I currently have an 1992 Patrol DX 4.2 Diesel that has beed a strong work horse for me but it is just getting a bit old.

I do get out in the bush (e.g. Gibb River Road, Mitchell Plateau) so I want something that can handle that and pull a 4x4 camper trailer as well. I have also a boat and am moving from the hills of Perth closer to the beach so I will be more regularly towing and transporting wet hairy dogs.

The dual cab Hilux 3.0D manual ute with a canopy sounded like an idea solution (the dog hair stays in the back!). But I am not sure weather the 3.0D will be good enough to tow the boat (1.7 tonnes) and if I will be disappointed with off road capabilities of the Hilux.

Another option would be to get a new Patrol but I was not sure if the 3.0 diesel in that size vehicle would have the grunt for towing the boat and it still means that I have wet hairy dogs inside the cabin area. :)

Thanks for any feedback.
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Member - Tour Boy ( Bundy QLD) - Thursday, Aug 27, 2009 at 13:01

Thursday, Aug 27, 2009 at 13:01
Hi, you will be dissapointed in the off road capabilities compared to the patrol.

I have had 2 x D4D hiluxs for work.
They perform quite well for a diesel but the V6 would kill it every day of the week.
They are a little lacking in the low down torque dept but a chip will improve that. they are much more comfortable than the old torsionbar IFS model up to early 05.
Cheers,
Dave
2010 Isuzu FTS800 Expedition camper
2015 Fortuner
Had 72 cruisers in my time

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  My Position  Send Message

AnswerID: 380696

Follow Up By: Member - Tour Boy ( Bundy QLD) - Thursday, Aug 27, 2009 at 13:08

Thursday, Aug 27, 2009 at 13:08
Image Could Not Be Found
Not much wheel travel
Image Could Not Be Found

They also have a surprising amount of room in the cab.

One problem is that the rear door (dual cab) seals don't seal properly allowing dust in and water when crossing anything deeper than the top of the side steps.

Cheers
Dave
Cheers,
Dave
2010 Isuzu FTS800 Expedition camper
2015 Fortuner
Had 72 cruisers in my time

Lifetime Member

FollowupID: 648090

Follow Up By: warfer69 - Thursday, Aug 27, 2009 at 13:40

Thursday, Aug 27, 2009 at 13:40
**Hi, you will be disappointed in the off road capabilities compared to the patrol. **

I totally agree and the latest Navara is even worse..It seems to me the Companies are thinking more about speed,comfort and black bitumen..Oh and sticking the 4x4 badge on it as an added extra..Now if you want to spend a bleep load of cash on aftermarket gear that's a diff story..
FollowupID: 648099

Reply By: Gronk - Thursday, Aug 27, 2009 at 13:25

Thursday, Aug 27, 2009 at 13:25
Depends on whether you go fair dinkum 4x4ing or mainly off road driving ??

The 3ltr Patrol has the same grunt as the 4.2...just at diff rev range !!

Will it last as long ?? Who knows ??

I think the Hi lux ( and many other dual cabs ) will do the job pretty well.....put on some decent tyres, a 2" lift and if you really do want to go "off" road....whack a locker or two in..
AnswerID: 380701

Reply By: landseka - Thursday, Aug 27, 2009 at 13:35

Thursday, Aug 27, 2009 at 13:35
Hi John,

I don't think you would have a problem with that vehicle.

Although I don't have personal experience with Hilux, I have an '07 Triton dual cab 3.2 did and it handles my 2.2 tonne caravan with ease and quite economically.

Offroad it works well but the lack of ground clearance lets it down a bit. Not hard to fix though.

What sold me on the Triton was the extra room for rear seat passengers, the back doors and rear leg room are better than anything in its class.

Regards

Neil
AnswerID: 380702

Reply By: olcoolone - Thursday, Aug 27, 2009 at 15:09

Thursday, Aug 27, 2009 at 15:09
It always gets me when people say you will be disappointed in the off road abilities.

Yes in extreme 4x4ing where the Patrol would be better but for most 4x4ing including hard and difficult off roading you will be more then happy.

On our last trip we towed our Ultimate camper with our D4D Hilux through the Northern Simpson in areas that is very hard on the vehicle and at speeds of less then 10 Kph for hours on end.

We made it over all the many sand dunes, hundreds of 500+mm tall Spinifex bushes and dense scrub with no problems except three destroyed tyres.

We weighed 4500Kg all up.

All other places we have been we have never not made it through, it comes down to experience, tyre choice and suspension.

So if you want to go rock hopping get something else but if you want a good tourer with good off road abilities the Hilux will suit you fine.

Put some good tyres on it and a suspension lift and your in business.
AnswerID: 380710

Follow Up By: warfer69 - Thursday, Aug 27, 2009 at 16:31

Thursday, Aug 27, 2009 at 16:31
***It always gets me when people say you will be disappointed in the off road abilities.

Yes in extreme 4x4ing where the Patrol would be better but for most 4x4ing including hard and difficult off roading you will be more then happy. ***

Hiya olcoolone

Just out of curiousity what would you class these tracks in my Walhalla and Dargo Pictures..Walhalla-Dargo pictures
FollowupID: 648121

Follow Up By: Rut Tearer - Thursday, Aug 27, 2009 at 16:54

Thursday, Aug 27, 2009 at 16:54
The Hilux has plenty to offer and it doesn't take much to make it more suited to tougher off road stuff, and that applyes to the Patrol as well, serious off roaders will make changes to both vehicles. Whoever said the Petrol Hilux kills the diesel is on drugs? I have driven both all my life and I'd take the diesel all day everyday, in fact in the test they did going around Australia with both Hiluxes , Petrol and Diesel, the Diesel average half the fuel consumption of the patrol, that included off road, towing, sand dunes etc etc. Whoever also said the Diesel lacks low down torque is on serious drugs, the diesel makes more torque low down than the Petrol, please get your facts straight.

FollowupID: 648123

Follow Up By: olcoolone - Thursday, Aug 27, 2009 at 19:45

Thursday, Aug 27, 2009 at 19:45
Warfer, I would class those tracks as medium to hard but pictures never do justice.....you can have a 10 foot hole your climbing out of and in a photo it looks like a 2 foot hole.

Looks like fun.

The advantage a Patrol would have over a Hilux is wheel articulation over undulating ground and thats something you can't fix easy.....in real terms that would relate to maybe 2% at the most of the average 4x4ers driving.

I would class a Hilux in the same league off road as a IFS 100 series Landcruiser.

IFS vehicles make a better all round tourer by far.
FollowupID: 648135

Follow Up By: kevanancy - Thursday, Aug 27, 2009 at 23:27

Thursday, Aug 27, 2009 at 23:27
I have an 80 series and a mate has a new turbo diesel hilux with aftermarket suspension and airbags . We have gone places where he has got stuck and I have driven straight through but only in quite extreme situations . All in all I'd rather have his car . It is only wheel travel that lets him down . If you buy one put a winch on it it will go anywhere .
FollowupID: 648192

Follow Up By: kevanancy - Thursday, Aug 27, 2009 at 23:29

Thursday, Aug 27, 2009 at 23:29
Forgot to mention he also pulls a 27ft fibreglass boat with it on the tar .
FollowupID: 648195

Reply By: matske - Thursday, Aug 27, 2009 at 17:47

Reply By: Member - Mick O (VIC) - Thursday, Aug 27, 2009 at 18:48

Thursday, Aug 27, 2009 at 18:48
I had a Navara STR with the 3L T/D. Towed a trailer at 1.3 tonnes 40,000 km around Oz in 2006. I beefed the suspecsion up to cope with the towing and rough roads. Went well. I think the Toyota would be the same. I drive the 3L T/D patrol and it's a great car but it's a lot more weight than the Navara (or toyota) and the same sized motor. Just tripped over a good Hi Lux for sale in the Trader section.

Hilux in the Exploroz Trader

Cheers Mick

''We knew from the experience of well-known travelers that the
trip would doubtless be attended with much hardship.''
Richard Maurice - 1903

Lifetime Member

AnswerID: 380731

Reply By: Member - Mike W (NSW) - Thursday, Aug 27, 2009 at 19:34

Thursday, Aug 27, 2009 at 19:34
Hi John_f

I like the Hilux dual cab and would choose the diesel over the petrol ( I like the low down torque that diesel are renowned for).

I am looking at one myself and I believe with a 2" suspension lift good, quality tyres, winch and a couple of air lockers, It should be a more then capable tourer.

The only downside to the Hilux is the price. I dont think they up 15k better then the competition.

AnswerID: 380740

Reply By: Member - Brenton W (SA) - Thursday, Aug 27, 2009 at 19:59

Thursday, Aug 27, 2009 at 19:59
Hi John F

The D4D will have plenty of low down grunt to pull your boat trailer, i looked at buying one last year but thought they were a little bit rough for general road work compared to my old 03 rodeo diesel. So i bought a D4D Prado instead i dont know how they do it but for the same engine as the hilux it has heaps more torque 410 compared to 345, when i priced up the hilux with all the extras tub liner canopy long range fuel tank etc it was only $2000 cheaper than the Prado so i thought that was a better option, more comfort as well, kids dont complain sitting in the back, 5 speed auto 17" wheels, but you will have to have the dog in the car the only let down, pick your upholstery the same colour as the dog thats what we did.
AnswerID: 380744

Reply By: Member - ranger1 - Thursday, Aug 27, 2009 at 21:01

Thursday, Aug 27, 2009 at 21:01
I use a 2008 Hilux for work purposes and it gets hammered off road,mostly sand dunes and mud tracks and it goes very well.

All depends on what you are using it for, if you are talking areas were you are likely to be climbing over rocks etc, forget it.

If driving along beaches and sand tracks with some mud and water thrown in then no dramas.

I often have to get to remote areas to help tourists who are stuck and this does the job well.

I have never got in a position that this truck could not handle.

Now for the bad news, the hilux is getting changed over to a colorado due to the cheaper costs at the end of the lease.

Think that pretty soon i will be the one calling for help

AnswerID: 380756

Follow Up By: Gronk - Thursday, Aug 27, 2009 at 21:48

Thursday, Aug 27, 2009 at 21:48
I don't know why you would think the Colorado is inferior to the Hi lux ??

One of the 4x4 mags gave the D Max ( same car ) the vote as their best dual cab ute..
FollowupID: 648165

Follow Up By: olcoolone - Friday, Aug 28, 2009 at 10:03

Friday, Aug 28, 2009 at 10:03
Yeah because the Colorado was a fair bit cheaper then the Hilux....the mags look at this as a major part of their testing for points scoring.

The mags only print what they want you to know.

The Navara that got Ute Of The Year failed badly in there 6000 kilometer torture test 6 months later........but still wore the crown of Ute Of The Year.
FollowupID: 648247

Follow Up By: Gronk - Friday, Aug 28, 2009 at 16:35

Friday, Aug 28, 2009 at 16:35
I know the Hi lux has a better reputation, but what part is better than another brand.....or what part of the other brands doesn't match the Hi lux ??

Theres a difference between brand loyalty and hard facts..
FollowupID: 648278

Sponsored Links